24 Sept 2007

World cup for World peace?

Finally a world cup comes to the billion strong country after what seems like ages. India lifted the world Twenty20 world cup. But in my jubilation i couldn't believe my ears when I heard Shoaib Mallik, Captain of the Pakistan cricket team state, ' I would like to thank my country, Pakistan and all the Muslims around the world...'

He didn't thank anyone else. Not fans. Not supporters. Not well wishers. Not..... I am stunned. I mean, I know cricket is a religion for many people, but to thank only people of your faith???

With the following that cricket has and the surge in viewership for today's finals between India and Pakistan, I feel he should have chosen his words more carefully. After all "world cup" events are meant to celebrate harmony and understanding between people of the world.

No comments: