15 Aug 2007

Independence Day

August 15th : Independence day is being celebrated all over India. Since it is a national holiday, I am sitting at home doing nothing in particular when I decide to Blackle (Google with a black background that saves power with each search) Independence Day and related topics. Through all of the pages the concept of “being free from the influence of others” seems to come through.

Am I really independent? Am I free from the influence of others? Am I free? Well, when I start my day I have to brush my teeth and do my morning dailies. Right? I mean my dentist has told me if I don’t do that I will have bad breath, bacteria will eat into my tooth enamel and I’ll lose my teeth early in life. If I don’t have my bath then my mom told me that I’d develop body odour. I open my wardrobe and pull out my uniform since my company says that they wouldn’t like to discriminate between employees……And this is just the start of my day.

Ladies are free to choose what they want to wear but advised not to wear “revealing” or provocative clothes. Religious fanatics attack others on the flimsiest grounds. So we are “advised” not to provoke them by stating opinions. We are told not to make adverse comments against old people or the disabled. They are to be called the elderly and the gifted.

Yes we are free. Free to our opinions. That is as long as we keep them to ourselves. Free to move into any part of the country or other countries as long as we get the required travel documents and permissions. Free to drive whatever vehicle we wish to, as long as you have the license, insurance papers, pollution under control certificate, etc. Free to accumulate wealth, as long as we pay our income tax, wealth tax, service tax and other taxes.

Oh man. I feel so free on Independence Day that I think I’ll make the best use of my freedom to curl up in my blanket. [The other option of celebrating is out of the question since there is a ban on the sale of alcohol today] Happy Independence Day everyone.

No comments: